home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

6.01.2011

The FlowRider at Rhodes Aquatic Complex

This, last week my girls and I were able to get out for some "research."  Mesa, behold, the FlowRider!  Trust me when I say you'll want to check this out.  My girls are 4, they had a great time.  I took my sister-in-law who is 12 and she had a great time.  And my husband was jealous he couldn't join us.  This is an activity that will appeal to many ages.  Great for date night, alone time, or for a family or business event.  Kids 42" and taller can boogie board and those 52" and taller can try their hand (or rather, feet) at surfing.

The FlowRider is part of Rhodes Junior High's poolscape.  Rhodes is located at: 1860 S. Longmore in Mesa (Baseline and Longmore).  Rhodes pool is complete with a zero depth (beach like) entry pool, diving boards, normal pool (8 lane lines), splash pad and of course, the FlowRider.  My girls could have stayed for hours.  We were happy to take some pictures to give you a better idea of what to expect when you head down there.

Tips for the FlowRider:  don't wear jewelry and make sure your clothing will stay in place.  My sister-in-law made sure to have me double knot her swimsuit.  Also, make sure to have your liability waiver signed and ready to go (especially for minors leaving their parents at home).  And finally, you DON'T need to bring your own boogie board or wave board.  They have them for use.  

The FlowRider is open:
Monday - Thursday 1pm - 6pm
Friday 1pm - 7pm
Saturday 10am - 6pm
Sunday 1pm - 5pm

The cost is $5 for kids, $10 for adults for 1 hour of shared ride time.  You may also want to check out these deals:  50% off on Monday nights from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM for residents and no fence nights on Wednesday and Thursday from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM (ride both sides - the fence is not up in the below pictures).  You can also buy a FlowPass for those planning to go again and again.  




I kind of tricked you with this one.  My sister-in-law isn't surfing on her own after one session, but, if you would like to improve your own skills, check out FlowLeague and FlowLessons here.


These guys were already pros at it:  


Now a view of the pool:





See why my girls didn't want to leave?

Did you know City of Mesa pools are available for rent?  You can rent the FlowRider for $150 an hour for a party of up to 50 people (that includes the lifeguards) or rent all of Rhodes Aquatic Complex for $260 an hour for up to 150 people (additional people = additional charge).  Pools are available for rent year round and in the summer Rhodes pool is available to rent Tuesdays and Fridays from 7:00 - 11:00 PM and Saturdays from 6:00 - 11:00 PM.  Call Mark for scheduling:  480-644-4271

Maybe I sound like I get paid by the city to write this stuff (which I don't), but I have been to private pool parties at city pools and they are so much fun!  Definitely a great idea for large gatherings.  

1 comment:

Martha said...

That sounds like so much fun to do with my older kiddos.. and the funny thing is I know Mark and his cute little family... you guys do a great job letting us all know what is around here to do for the summer. :)